WE'VE MOVED!


As part of our big, new redesign of the Alliance for Justice website, the Justice Watch blog has moved. To be sure you're getting all the latest news about the fight for a fairer America, visit us at www.afj.org/blog
Showing posts with label southern district of florida. Show all posts
Showing posts with label southern district of florida. Show all posts

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Marco Rubio’s obstruction of justice


Suppose you are a United States Senator who must decide whether to support a nominee for a judgeship.  What are the most important criteria?

A.    Knowledge of the law
B.     Intellect
C.     Judicial temperament
D.    Diligence
E.     If I vote for the guy, will it offend my extremist base?

Most of us would consider the first four.  But if the senator in question were Marco Rubio, and if he were forced to answer honestly, he would have to admit to E.

Sen. Marco Rubio
Sen. Rubio made that clear when, having previously supported the nomination of William Thomas to serve as a judge on the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida, he first delayed for months giving the Senate Judiciary Committee his okay to move forward with the nomination then changed his mind entirely.  By committee tradition, both home state senators must sign off on a judicial nomination for it to proceed.  Sen. Rubio’s reversal effectively vetoes the nomination.

As a result, this judgeship, already vacant for more than 18 months, will remain vacant still longer, causing unconscionable delays for residents of Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach and several other South Florida counties seeking justice in federal court.

Thomas now serves as a state court judge in Florida.  Between the time Rubio said he would support Thomas and the time he changed his mind, Thomas did not change.  He’s the same William Thomas who won the support of groups like the Dade County Police Benevolent Association, the Broward County Police Benevolent Association, and the League of Prosecutors, a Miami-based group made up of current and former prosecutors.

The only thing that’s changed is Rubio’s need to shore up his far-right base after flirting with compromise on immigration reform.  Apparently, Rubio didn’t want to further alienate his extremist allies by supporting a highly-qualified judge who would also happen to be the first openly gay black male judge to serve on the federal bench.

As Yolanda Strader, president of Miami’s largest association for black lawyers told The New York Times: 
As much as I would like to think that politics has nothing to do with this, it looks as if it does.  It would be unfair to prevent a well-qualified judicial nominee from proceeding with the nomination process because he is an openly gay black male. 
But given Rubio’s feeble and illogical excuses for his reversal, that appears to be exactly what’s happened.

Rubio cites two rulings by Thomas. 

In the first, Thomas had to throw out a confession in a horrific rape and murder case because two of the five defendants either had not been read their Miranda rights, or did not understand them.  Nonetheless, all five were convicted or pled guilty - and Judge Thomas sentenced one of the killers to death. Never mind that the ruling at issue was made more than six years ago—and for that reason alone could not logically serve as Rubio’s justification for changing his mind about Judge Thomas in the last several months—Judge Thomas’s decision was a product of exactly what conservatives say they want judges to do: strictly apply the law, instead of bending it to reach a desired outcome.

In the second case, Rubio felt that Thomas had not imposed a sufficiently harsh sentence on a driver who killed a cyclist.

But Rubio has the complex facts of the case wrong.  In January of this year, the prosecutor who handled the case set the record straight in a letter to Rubio, saying that Judge Thomas made his sentencing determination—which was within the guidelines provided by law—using “careful judgment.” In July, the Administrative Judge for the court where Thomas serves did the same.  Rubio ignored both letters.

To make matters worse, these are exactly the sorts of questions that are best hashed out in the sunlight of a public committee hearing.  But without Rubio’s consent, Judge Thomas will never have that opportunity.

The big losers in all this are the people of South Florida.  When federal courts don’t have enough judges, delays can become unbearable.   Medical bills caused by injuries due to negligence may pile up while families wait for justice; memories may fade; witnesses may die.

Judge Thomas would have filled a seat that has been vacant for more than a year and a half.  The Administrative Office of the United States Courts says the situation is so bad that the vacancy is a “judicial emergency.” 

By his actions on the Thomas nomination, Rubio has given new meaning to the term “obstruction of justice.”

In its letter to Rubio strongly endorsing Thomas, the League of Prosecutors wrote: 
If – as we believe appropriate – the criteria on which you base your decision to confirm district court judges are judicial ability, work ethic, intelligence, experience, and a willingness to adhere scrupulously to the dictates of the law, you should confirm Judge Thomas without hesitation and urge your colleagues to do the same. 
Too bad those are not Marco Rubio’s criteria. 

Friday, March 2, 2012

Action on Judicial Nominations

Steps taken this week to address the judicial vacancy crisis that has left 1 in 10 seats on the federal bench empty include the confirmation of one judge, hearings for three nominees, a Senate Judiciary Committee vote on one nominee, and the nomination of new people to become Article III judges.

On Monday, the Senate voted to confirm Margo Kitsy Brodie to be a United States District Court judge in the Eastern District of New York by an overwhelmingly bipartisan vote of 86-2.  Due to obstruction from Senate Republicans, it took 145 days for Judge Brodie to receive her final confirmation vote after being unanimously reported out of the Senate Judiciary Committee on October 6 of last year.

Judiciary Committee Hearings for three nominees were held on Wednesday: Richard Taranto to serve as a United States Circuit Judge for the Federal Circuit, Gershwin Drain to serve as a United States District Court judge for the Eastern District of Michigan, and Robin Rosenbaum to serve as a United States District Court judge of the Southern District of Florida.

That evening, President Obama sent the names of two new judicial nominees to the Senate: Brian Davis, nominated to the Middle District of Florida, and John Dowdell, nominated to the Northern District of Oklahoma.

Thursday, the Judiciary Committee reported Andrew Hurwitz to the Senate floor on a bipartisan vote of 13-5; consideration of four additional nominees was stalled due to Republicans reflexively invoking a Committee rule allowing for a one-week delay without having to give a reason.

During the hearing on Wednesday, committee Chairman Senator Patrick Leahy (D-VT) spoke about Republican obstruction of the entire nomination process, both in Committee and on the Senate floor.  He said:
I have accommodated Senator Grassley's preferred schedule now for several months, holding a hearing for only one nominee in all of December and moving our last hearing back a week at his request. Regrettably today's hearing is another with less than a full slate of nominees. This is true of both of our February hearings because the minority did not review background paperwork of the nominees I wanted to include. With vacancies on Federal courts across the country remaining extremely high, as they have throughout the term of the Obama administration, we cannot afford to slow down our consideration of nominations in this manner.
Senator Leahy went on to note that with judicial vacancies at historic highs, the crisis on the courts is being exacerbated with every day that Republican senators slow-walk and obstruct the process of giving due consideration to the President’s nominees and allowing them a timely up-or-down confirmation vote by the full Senate.

By the Numbers
2 new nominations
3 nominees who had hearings before the Senate Judiciary Committee: 1 circuit court nominee and 2 district court nominees
1 nominee reported out of Committee to the Senate floor
1 nominee confirmed: Margo Kitsy Brodie to the Eastern District of New York

The week comes to a close with:

103 total judicial vacancies, including 34 judicial emergency vacancies
84 current vacancies; 19 future vacancies
17 circuit court vacancies; 86 district court vacancies
43 pending nominees; 60 vacancies without nominees
23 nominees pending in committee; 20 pending in the Senate

For the most comprehensive, up-to-date information on judicial nominations, visit the Judicial Selection Project website.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Three Nominees Confirmed; 23 Left Waiting


The Senate voted to confirm three nominees to U.S. District Court seats today.  Mark Raymond Hornak and Robert N. Scola, Jr. were confirmed by unanimous consent to seats in the Western District of Pennsylvania and the Southern District of Florida, respectively.  Robert David Mariani was confirmed by a bipartisan vote of 82-17 to a seat in the Middle District of Pennsylvania.

Mariani, nominated on Dec. 1, 2010, has waited 323 days to be confirmed to fill his seat which has been declared a judicial emergency by the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts.  It has been 91 days since he was reported out of the Senate Judiciary Committee without opposition on July 21.  Scola is also filling a judicial emergency vacancy; it has been 169 days since his nomination on May 4, 2011.  Hornak, like Mariani, has waited 323 days for his unanimous confirmation by the Senate.

For the most accurate, up-to-date information on the judicial selection process, visit the Judicial Selection Project page.